[Shotimes] 60,000 mile check -- tools and supplies

Bruce Malachuk bmalach1@nycap.rr.com
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 10:03:40 -0500

So what does a "falling apart" shim look like or sound like? When I did my
valve lash back in jan of last year, I found most to be in spec, so I merely
wrote down the number, and then flipped the shim so that I had a fresher
wear surface facing the cam lobes. I thought the shims were hardened to a
lesser value than the cams, and the reason for checking/changing them was to
keep the lobes from wearing. I'm gonna be doing a quick valve lash check on
my 93 winter beater, solely because the valve covers are pissing oil out all
over the place. I just planned on flipping shims after pulling them out to
make sure they had no weird wear.

Though flipping them might mean that down the line I'd have to replace them
for being outta spec once the backside of the shim starts to wear down a
little. I have seen a few shims I've pulled off of parts engines that had
discoloration like they had been heat damaged, but I've not seen a shim
falling apart per say, unless I don't know what to look for, which is very
possible :-)

Bruce Malachuk

94 Opal Frost MTX

93 Black ATX soon to be parts

93 Green MTX - black interior...a turd with wheels right now