[Shotimes] Sr 72 weight

Leigh Smith leighsm@comcast.net
Thu, 04 Dec 2003 17:24:36 -0500

Don;
You would be surprised how much a door weighs, and Tauri have four! Gut
the doors, cut the internal supports, add lexan side windows, and cut
the internal door crash beam. ( You do have a roll cage right?) Take it
down almost to one piece of sheetmetal. Probably will be so flexy at
this point you will have to pin them on, but hey, it is a race car,
right? Same with the hood and trunk lid. A gutted (supportless)
sheetmetal hood, I will almost guarantee is lighter than a fiberglass
one, but don't put springs, or even hinges on it. You can also build
some aluminum bumper support brackets, vs shocks, and gut or heave the
plastic internal bumper. How far do you want to go? If you have a cage,
it will do the chassis stiffening and you can cut out a lot of internal
sheetmetal, or swiss cheese it with a hole cutter. A lot of it is just
there for chassis stiffening purposes, which you don't need any more.
You could even replace big sections with aluminum sheetmetal. Got a
swazall??? Can you say 2400lbs??

It would probably look a lot like our old 1950 lb, 10.0 sec 64 Nova,
with a real 302 !! ( a chevy one)

Lee