[Shotimes] New lister & Sticky shifter

Leigh Smith leighsm@comcast.net
Sun, 14 Dec 2003 20:35:58 -0500

Welcome to the list.
It could be shifter or clutch related. SHOs are very sensitive here.
To rule out shiter or trans:
Change the tranny fluid, SHOs are very picky with fluid, Mercon with
Ford additive works well, or GM synchromesh. Not straight ATF. Some
folks like synthetic, some don't. Some like Redline MTF, but it is
thicker/stiffer. There is a homemade drainplug "kit" available thru Josh.
Remove the shifter and dissamble the "box" below the handle and grease
it. The Exhaust dries out the grease. Helps a lot.
Beyond that, it is probably clutch related, which is all too common.
Overheated pressure plates/ flywheel with warping results in disc drag
and no clean clutch release. Then there are the throwout bearing issues.
Clutch disc drag test:
You should be able to put it in neutral and after 2-3-4 seconds for
everything to spin down, put it straight into reverse without any grinding.
Lee