[Shotimes] Oil...

Steve Tatro stevetatro@netzero.com
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 17:54:13 GMT

I've mentioned this before, but there's a mechanic in Texas (SDPATT from the SHO Forum) who's done his fair share of 60k services, and has documented numerous engines that've run synthetic (usually Mobil1) for life that have visible (possibly measureable?) cam lobe wear.

He's posted some picture in the past.  Anyone wanting to see them can probably do a search by member number (he's #51 IIRC).

All I know is that the last time I had my valve covers off (at about 165k) there weren't even any marks on my lobes.  I've used Mobil1 a couple of winters, but usually just run a good dino oil and keep the filter fresh.

Also still on my original rod bearings (173k) *furiously knocking on wood*

I will say the pictures of the Mobil1 engines showed them being clean, no yellowing or browning as with the Pennzoil (yuck) engines.

Later,

Steve Tatro
Red/Black '93 with 173k miles
Cincinnati, Ohio

-- Paul L Fisher <sho@paul-fisher.com> wrote:
I believe the ONLY person who says no to synthetic is Doug Lewis. I've run
Synthetic, either Mobil 1 or Amsoil in just about all of my cars with no ill
effects.
--

Paul L Fisher
'93 Ford Taurus SHO Crimson Clearcoat ATX 180K Build date 11/18/1992

SHO Club member http://www.shoclub.com/
Check out my web site http://www.paul-fisher.com/
Amsoil dealer http://www.paul-fisher.com/oil.htm