[Shotimes] Bozo Auto Mechanics

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:29:30 -0500

Well, a couple of things:

When someone says that they won't work on it, they are really doing you a
favor. Better than using your car as OTJ training. I had this when I wanted
a better-than-factory black paint job on my '89 SHO. A few shops did not
want to do the work.

And, yes, I know that there are ASE and other car techs out there who can
"connect the dots" (so to speak) and can analyze things, but I would say
that a LOT more are just robots that repeat what they've learned, and can't
apply the logic process. Kinda like working on an assembly line. On a
semi-related topic, that's why I put very little stock in an unknown
mechanic's opinion about oils, performance upgrades, etc, etc. They are as
much of a victim of rumors as anyone.

Nothing in a car is scary ONCE YOU'VE DONE IT. Hey, there was no one getting
into SHO work for many years....but then many of the low-buck owners of
well-used SHOs HAD to, or else their cars would be parked until they could
pay someone! Mechanics work against the clock, and "learning" the repair on
a new vehicle is not cost-effective.

Just because your family practitioner is an MD doesn't mean that you will
want him to do bypass surgery.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Neno Albert
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 3:42 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Bozo Auto Mechanics

SHO's are NOT hard to work on at all, IMO. The worst part about them would
be the lack of air
tools and heat to break stuff loose. even with all the work you go through
to remove the
waterpump, it's just time consuming and nothing much more then that. Crown
Vics, Caprices, and
Grand Marquis' aren't exactly a walk through the park! Especially not
minivans. I'm not bashing
the guy, but it seems he's just a tit-bit too picky...

If i were to walk into a shop and have them tell me they won't work on my
car, I'd probably inform
EVERYONE i know to avoid them. That's the problem with our tech world
nowadays, no one works on
anything challenging, which is scary because nothing is becoming easier or
work-friendly as the
clock ticks on! If they don't want to work on it, it's probably because
they're not knowledgable
enough to do so. Other then internal engine work, clutch/ATX work, and the
timing belt, the SHO is
a rather work friendly car. the waterpump is simply removal of accessory
belts, pulleys, timing
belt covers, and a rebuild/whole pump assembly removal and install. How can
that possibly freak
someone out? Maybe they hate not having air tools involved with their class
"A" work! :-)

Neno