[Shotimes] Lost 5th gear

Ian Fisher ianf@eden.rutgers.edu
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 19:00:36 -0500

Is this in the 92?

Can you shift into 5th at all by either matching revs or slowing the
engine speed enough to pop it in with the clutch? Does it grind when you
try to go into gear?

Ian

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of van Oss
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 6:50 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shotimes] Lost 5th gear

Drove home today from Madison to La Crosse, 140 miles.  Threat of a
snowstorm hanging over me the whole way, and sure enough it was coming
down heavy the last 50 miles.

The tranny was making funny noises but I dared not stop.  Around Camp
Douglas, I lost 5th gear.  Just try to shift into 5th and there's a
terrible shuddering.  Drove home the rest of the way in 4th, which was
not an inconvenience because I had to go slow anyway.

I'm a bit dejected.  This tranny has about 12K on a Courtney rebuild,
and only 3K on a Quaiffe install by Courtney.  I'm hoping he'll make
some sort of concession.

I suspect a bearing.  Anyone know what would fail that I would lose 5th
only? Reverse and 1-4 seem okay.

Joseph van Oss