[Shotimes] Replacing the SHO

Mark Blacknell mb@blacknell.net
Tue, 04 Feb 2003 11:15:26 -0500

At 09:18 AM 2/4/2003 -0500, Ian Fisher wrote:
>Thanks for the info. If you had driven the 540i I wonder if your opinion
>would vary somewhat. I believe that they are rated at 282hp stock. DOHC
>V8 (just like the SHO) but a little larger IIRC (probably 5.4L, use your
>head Ian).
I think it would have changed significantly.  I tried (I really did) to
settle with a 525i or 530i when I was looking - they're quite a bit cheaper
than the 540i.  And while my experience with the Gen III is limited, I
think Don's probably right in describing a 530 as even with a Gen III SHO
(in power, at least - I don't know what crack Don was smoking wrt build
quality).  However, once you've driven the 540i - ATX or MTX - you're kinda
ruined for the rest of the 5-series.  So I picked up a 540iA with a few
miles on it.

I'd give the 540i a wide margin against my 94 SHO in both power and
quality.  In some hard handling situations, I'd narrow the margin a fair
bit (my 94 had Tokicos, Eibachs, and subframe connectors, though), but
still give it to the 540.  And in terms of obscenely over-engineered
cupholders, the Germans take the lead (that's not necessarily a good thing
- ask me after I break one).

Of course, the SHO blows the Bimmer out of the water in one category - the
damage it does to your pocketbook.  But I'm still smiling after the
purchase, so it's worth it, I guess.

>They sound amazing with open exhaust. One of these days I'll
>have to test drive one. I've also scared my share of salespeople; I
>think its time to go for another test drive.
This last round of test drives was quite a bit of fun - from the full Audi
line through LS8s to M3 convertibles, I've significantly updated my
inventory of personally collected data for my car opinions.  In the end, it
came down to a 540 and an A6 (but the engine I wanted - the 2.7T, was
impossible to find at the time).

>Ian  "1 ATX is too many" Fisher
Well, the deal in this house (so far) is that I can have any car I like, so
long as it's an auto.  All things considered, it's not a bad deal.