[Shotimes] Re: spring and struts replacement

David P jpotter8@bellsouth.net
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 17:46:27 -0500

For those of us that maintain all the rubber components in the front
suspension, hammering down the spindle does not work, at least on the five
different Taurii/Sables that I've maintained, the suspension does not want
to go down that far, even when leveraging a 6 foot 2x4 on the torque arm.
Maybe if all the bushings were worn out it could be done. With aluminum
SFB's, TPR LCA bushings, and good condition LCA, it's just not gonna happen
without a lot of sweat, and the point here is to make the job as easy as
possible.

As far as lifting the strut and spring back into the tower, they are not
that heavy. I've done it with one hand on the strut, balancing the spring on
it's perch, and the other on a jack many times. I by no means have
stupendous upper body strength. You do this first, THEN attach the knuckle
back to the strut.

David P

95MTX

~