[Shotimes] Rim width

Mark Nunnally manunnal@netheaven.com
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 22:40:10 -0500

> What makes for a better drag tire is a more flexible sidewall, hence low
> profile tires are not good for the strip.....the lower the profile, the
> worse they are. Assuming he same over tire diameter, a 70-series tire is
> much more desirable than a 55-series.

    The 225/50 nitto DR's are great for an n/a SHO, as they give you a
little edge on the gearing, you are pegging 3rd on the big end, so it's
pretty useful at giving you the most gear for 1-3 without making the shift
to 4th.  And once heated a little, they grab like a fool on a hard 1-2 shift
(other 50 series street tires I've run spin like mad on the hard 1-2).  All
that being said, the short sidewalls are hard to get a handle on, even with
low air pressure.  I think the best 60' I've ever got out of them was like
2.15 or so.  Decent, but other guys have pulled those times on street rubber
(and I've done similar on 65 series tires on 15" wheels to).

I've noticed they have that tire in a road race version now, same basic
design only with really stiff sidewalls for road racing.  But I haven't seen
any sizes that'll work for us yet.

mark