[Shotimes] Uh-Oh...

Steve Weinrich stevwein@swbell.net
Wed, 05 Feb 2003 09:30:37 -0600

For the coolant leak, get the pressure tester from autozone  ($75 deposit)
and test the system.  It sounds like either you have a leaking core or else
the hose connections to the core are leaking and spraying coolant into the
heaterbox through the firewall opening.  Inspect these with an inspection
mirror.

For the burning rubber smell, inspect the BACk side of your accessory drive
belts for glazing.  If it is glazed, that means that an idler pulley isn't
turning.  If those belts are ok, your problem is inside the timing belt
covers and will definately take more work.

Steve

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonathon Beisler" <JBEIS001@stvincentshealth.com>
To: <shotimes@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 8:59 AM
Subject: [Shotimes] Uh-Oh...

> Hi Guys,
> Okay, I will try to explain all the symptoms that I am suddenly
experiencing today.  First, I know that my car has an oil leak, pretty sure
it's pan seal; it also has a coolant leak, haven't found that leak yet.
Anyway, I started to smell coolant through the heater vents on the way to
work.  This has happened before so I don't know if it is related.  Next, I
saw smoke coming from under the hood on the passenger side.  When I opened
the hood, smoke was coming out from beneath the upper outer timing belt
cover on the left side only (towards front of car).  The smoke smelled a
little like burning rubber.  So, could the belt have slipped sideways and be
rubbing against something?  I  have parked it until I get a closer look but
any ideas or beginnings from you all would be great.