OT Re: [Shotimes] web page

mkelley1@gt.rr.com mkelley1@gt.rr.com
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 16:34:36 -0500

Yeah, those were the days.  I remember debugging some bootstrap assembly
code by using a oscilliscope to count the number of memory accesses the CPU
was making so I could see how many bytes it went into the code before
dying.  How many young programmers can claim to have used an oscilliscope
to debug software?  Now all I do is project status reports and update my
PTS outlook for a bunch of people who've never programmed in their lives
(if you've ever seen "Office Space", you know what I'm talking about!).

Mark

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Ron Nottingham nottingham@alltel.net
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 16:14:27 -0500
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: OT Re: [Shotimes] web page

Yeah, programming was much more fun back in the day than it is now.
Programs were much more efficient then than they are now.  Sure, when you
went to compile a program, you would go out and get a burger, and some more
beer, and still wait while it compiled (which is why you would always watch
those Monty Python movies on Beta), always took forever as compared to
today, when you go to compile, you press a button and when you get back from
taking a leak, your program is compiled and ready to go.  Also, hardware
back then...  At least it wasn't out of date the day after you bought it :-)

Ahhh, you WIMP, using a static strap, real coders never use a static
strap!!!

Ron N. - Dalton, GA
90 SHO
"It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile"