[Shotimes] Re: [OT] but what isn

Tom Teixeira tjteixeira@earthlink.net
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 20:11:22 -0500

At 3:30 PM -0500 2/7/03, Ian Fisher wrote:
>So who here is Portuguese or eats Portuguese food? Mmmmmm good.
>
>Trivia: Teixeira  is a Portuguese name. It's pronounced "Tah-shay-rah"
>(that's as best as I can phonetically get it). It kills me to hear
>"Techs area"
>
>I don't speak Portuguese although I wish I could; I can understand some
>of it here and there. My mom is multilingual and speaks it quite
>fluently though.
>
>And no, Ian Fisher is not a Portuguese name.  :)
>
>Ian

Well, me, obviously. And no, I'm not related to Josh. While Teixeira
isn't quite "Smith", it is a common Portuguese name.

My dad grew up bilingual, but wasn't as fluent as he grew older. I
can remember visiting New Bedford and hearing him struggle to ask
store owners where to find things.

The main Portuguese foods I'm familiar with are kale soup, linguica,
and massa sovadas (had to google for that -- it's sweet bread). What
am I missing out on?

p.s. at various times my wife has told people Teixeira is Greek or Ethiopian...

--

Tom Teixeira					mailto:tjt@world.std.com
Blue 94 5-speed 112K, Green 91+ 130K	http://world.std.com/~tjt