[Shotimes] (OT) Mazda 6 and '04 Maxima

Ron Fleshman insman@direcway.com
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 15:01:21 -0500

<<Oh well, the search continues.>>

Same here.  We've been looking for a car to replace the poorly
constructed, problem plagued Oldsmobile Intrigue my wife drives.  It was
the first non-Ford I've had since 1966.  Problem is, Ford has nothing
we'll even consider.  We looked and drove the GM's--Gran Prix (too
cheaply made), Regal (too old feeling), and Impala (ugly).  There was
nothing there.  Against my better judgment, we drove a 300M and a
Intrepid.  I hate to say this, but they are simply horrible cars.
Underpowered and the transmission quit working on the Intrepid on the
test drive (talk about an embarrassed salesman).

     You know what she likes?  The new Honda Accord (remember, it's her
car and not mine).  She drove it and fell in love with it.  We drove a 4
cylinder EX with leather.  It was quieter than any car I've been in for
the money ($23K).  With the 5-speed, it does something like 7.2 in the
quarter and gets 34 mpg on the highway. She also liked the Toyota Camry
and Nissan Altima, but nothing like the Honda.  This is my point...if
Honda and Toyota are selling sport sedans (and believe me the Honda
handled and ran well), why isn't Ford?  Or GM?  Both have 4-bangers with
more refinement and as much power as Ford's Vulcan and Chevy's pushrod
V-6's.  It's like they want us to buy sedans from Europe or Japan and
buy trucks from them.  Wonder if that is the plan?

Ron
92 White
98 TR