[Shotimes] Re: Enough of the OT, see ya....

James F. Ryan III av8r567@optonline.net
Sat, 08 Feb 2003 19:09:08 -0500

> And if anyone is sooooo upset reading the OT posts, we've all been pretty
> good about putting "OT" in the subject line lately, so one could simply
> filter out all such emails, and never even know they were there.

Yeah, but "pretty good" isn't good enough.

Alot of the time a technical thread will go off-topic and noone bothers to
simply change the Subject heading.

On the flip side of the coin, sometimes a thread that starts out OT will
change to a technical discussion and once again noone bothers to change the
Subject line.

I am a vegetarian, so if I were to just delete (without reading) all of
these OT posts about "which is the best mayonnaise", "fried bologna
sandwiches", and "kubasa and lumpkey", I may miss out on some really good
technical stuff.

When I joined this list, back in the Topica days, everyone was very diligent
about updating the Subject line, for example - "Subject:  13" brakes...Was:
OT-best hamburger".  I haven't seen anyone do that in the LONGEST time.

To remain a casual & friendly mailing list (and not p.o. some of the very
knowledgeable list-members like David P and Don Mckinnon - just to name some
recent ones) we need to make a concerted effort to CHANGE THE SUBJECT LINE
WHEN YOU CHANGE THE TOPIC OF THE THREAD.

Note to David P:  I enjoy reading your very long posts, even though others
have complained.  Even though they're sometimes opinionated they are always
chock full of good technical info.

Jim Ryan
'91 Plus  white/mocha
lots of mods
home in NJ for the weekend
back to TX tomorrow night
Texas - not a vegetarian-friendly state
    they put meat in their vegetables and meat in their meat