[Shotimes] RE: supercharging

David P jpotter8@bellsouth.net
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 23:34:29 -0500

You know, at this late point in the game, I don't consider a makeover to
that extent worth the effort or money, or time (takes lot of each). Having
the money to do so does not make highly modifying a car that is FWD, not
very well balanced, and at least eight years old (Gen2) a smart decision.
Having money to do so means you can also afford a better hot-rod like a
Stang AND an SHO, or a better 4-door performer like a BMW.

On the other hand cost-effective boost can be had. I personally am looking
at doing a "jy" S/C with an Eaton found in the grand prix GTP, along with a
3.2L swap for the beefier rods and low-end torque. I'll push a minimum level
of boost to avoid having to rebuild the bottom end with better parts and
re-stroking, and I'll be able to use the stock tranny without too much
concern for damage due to brute power. A change of injectors, fuel pump,
fabricated steel and some method of programmable fuel control later, and I
should see 280-300hp for less than $3k. This is worth it, to me, for an
aging car that has little support in both the aftermarket and oem.

Of course, anyone wanting to just throw their money out the door in large
quantities, by all means, enjoy yourself. At the same time, go line up a
number of good used trannys since you can hardly find enough parts to
rebuild one.

David P

95MTX

~