[Shotimes] RE: supercharging

Michael Humbert humbem@rpi.edu
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 23:56:08 -0500

Wow, 15-20K is a bit excessive for the end goal!!  I'm definitely under
the impression that I should stick to some tamer mods.  I figured there
was more to adding a supercharger than I would like, but I really had no
idea of the extent of the things that should be considered.  I'm sure
somewhere down the line I'll get the chance to transform my car into a
beast, but I should probably wait until I have the funds to do so.
Signing bonuses do evil things to one's mind......

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Porter [mailto:ronporter@prodigy.net]
Sent: Saturday, February 08, 2003 9:01 PM
To: Michael Humbert
Cc: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [Shotimes] RE: supercharging

With 159K, you should also plan on a total engine rebuild before even
thinking about a blower.

Unless you are able to do 90%+ of this work yourself, plan on $15-20K.
If
you can do virtually all of the work, plan on at least $10K.

Even adding a Quaife really entails rebuilding the trans. This is
$2,500-$3,000 right there, not counting the tranny R&R if you don't do
it
yourself.

I would recommend doing a good suspension and brakes (including springs,
struts, sway bars, all new bushings), a good exhaust, underdrive
pulleys,
the Quaife with a tranny rebuild, and forget the MAF or a chip. Also get
some wider wheels and good tires. All of this stuff will run $6K or
better
as it is. This will improve the handling and performance, proving a good
bang for the buck.

All of the above should be done prior to considering a blower
installation,
anyway.

The last is a MAF, and is doesn't add much. I would go with a Pro-M and
forget a chip.

After doing all of the above, then consider the additional $10K+ for an
engine rebuild and a blower setup.