[Shotimes] RE: supercharging

John Miller jem@milleredp.com
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 11:01:58 -0800

> Speaking as someone that owns a Taurus and someone that owned a Fox body
> (sheds a tear) let me toss in my 8.75 cents.  The fox body is raw, not
> very comfortable to drive, but fun as all hell.  Regardless of whether or
> not the Taurus has a stiffer structure to being with, stock for stock,
> the Mustang handles very well and the Taurus has more understeer than....
> ummmmm.... Something that has a lot of understeer. : > )

In a track setting, or very energetic (perhaps too energetic) street
driving, a stock SHO simply cannot put power down.  You will buzz the
inside front tire, and you will slow down.  The early Gen 1 cars are, if
anything, the worst of the bunch, because of their 24mm front anti-roll
bars.  They should have had a lot more spring and a lot less anti-roll bar.

In my book, a SHO without a Quaife is pretty well useless for going really
fast.  The open diff and the tiny brakes are the car's two biggest design
failings.

The older 5.0 GT and LX Mustangs also have poor brakes in stock form, as
well as horrid toe change in the front suspension, roll bind in the rear
suspension, weight distribution as bad as most FWD cars, and a floppy
structure.  And there are few cars on this Earth less responsive than a 5.0
GT or LX with 2.73 rearend gears.  But they do at least get a
Traction-Lok...

John.