[Shotimes] hinged door in the floor of the car to get at the fuel pump

Kurt Metros kurt@elkhart.net
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 19:56:49 -0500

A few of years ago I replaced my fuel pump and a two summers ago I
started hearing it humm after longer trips where the fuel level got low
enough for the pump to heat up.  If I don't change it soon, I fear I may
get stranded.

I've heard of people getting a hinged door from Jeggs/Summit and cutting
a whole in the floor of the car, under the back seat, to allow swapping
out the pump motor easily.  Can someone give me some input on how to do
this - I thought Ransom had cut the hole in his floor with the tank in
place, but I'm wondering how you know where to cut and what you cut
with?

If I cut the hole for easy access, the pump will never go bad again.  If
I go through the burden of dropping the tank (more difficult now that I
have unibody connectors) it'll go bad in another year.  I just dont
want to keep dropping the tank.

Any input appreciated.

Kurt
www.kurtmetros.com