[Shotimes] hinged door in the floor of the car to get at the fuel pump

Ian Fisher ianf@eden.rutgers.edu
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 20:42:11 -0500

I have pictures and a write-up somewhere. Email me tomorrow offlist and
I'll try to get it all together.

I strongly recommend lowering the tank before cutting into the floor.
The fuel lines are right below the car's floor. Not a good idea to miss.
I am also wary of sparks generated by electric tools and fuel vapor.

I also have a fuel pump on the horizon. I am going to use the
opportunity to replace the rear control arms, install my H brace, etc
etc. When the tank is out, I am going to cut the access hole.

The best bet is to use the piece of metal that you removed and add wings
to it. Use bolts through these "wings" to reattach it to the body of the
car. The surface over the fuel tank is high curved so a generic door
from Jag's isn't really going to work too well..

Ian

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Kurt Metros
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 7:57 PM
To: TechSHO@topica.com; 'shotimes'
Subject: [Shotimes] hinged door in the floor of the car to get at the
fuel pump

A few of years ago I replaced my fuel pump and a two summers ago I
started hearing it humm after longer trips where the fuel level got low
enough for the pump to heat up.  If I don't change it soon, I fear I may
get stranded.

I've heard of people getting a hinged door from Jeggs/Summit and cutting
a whole in the floor of the car, under the back seat, to allow swapping
out the pump motor easily.  Can someone give me some input on how to do
this - I thought Ransom had cut the hole in his floor with the tank in
place, but I'm wondering how you know where to cut and what you cut
with?

If I cut the hole for easy access, the pump will never go bad again.  If
I go through the burden of dropping the tank (more difficult now that I
have unibody connectors) it'll go bad in another year.  I just dont
want to keep dropping the tank.

Any input appreciated.

Kurt
Shotimes mailing list