Handling was [Shotimes] RE: supercharging

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 14:23:20 -0600

All this about over/under steer is pretty simple.  Different
drivers can make the car do different things.

When it comes to suspensions, the rules are also pretty much
the same RWD or FWD.  any thing you make stiffer or firmer
(shocks, springs, bushings) will ADD understeer.

Make something softer, you ADD oversteer.

Tires work the opposite up to a point.  More air makes the
tire stick better, less air makes it slide more.

going by stock settings any FWD, and almost ALL RWD cars
will understeer.  That is the way they are set at the
factory by the lawyers.  Understeer is safer than oversteer.

Want to make a FWD SHO oversteer?  pump the front tires to
45 psi and drop the rears to 30.  Then let off the gas in a
hard corner or tap the brakes, or just overcook it.

Want to make any car understeer?  REALLY overcook a corner
and then yank the steering wheel.

Some people just have never set up or driven their SHO a
certain way so they think it is an understeering pig.  Yes
it can be, but it need not be.

The car handles VERY WELL, even compared to a LOT of RWD
cars.  Compared to most FWD, it is great.

But if all you think and want is an understeering pig, then
your SHO will be that.

Go to a driving school, and take your SHO.  Let a really
good driver get in it and maybe tweak the tire pressure and
you will be amazed at what the car can do.

I have riden with and driven with enough pro drivers in my
SHO to know that they are impressed.  And these people would
have told me if they thought the car was a pig.  I trust
their opinion a lot more than someone that already seems to
hate his SHO or not respect it.

Don Mallinson