[Shotimes] (OT) pretty bold chevron Techron statement, plus Canadian sulphur contents

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 12:44:15 -0500

FYI,

Here's a couple of posts from another list, with a couple of interesting
links. One on the claims by Chevron on it's fuel, the other with a rather
interesting look at the sulphur content of gas sold in Canada.

From: Chuck H. [mailto:chuck@lw.net]
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2003 9:10 AM
To: 911/993/996
Subject: [911] pretty bold chevron techron statement, NPC

>From what looks like an official chevron site:

All the major oil companies say that their gasoline is great. Why should I
buy Chevron gasoline?

When auto manufacturers design and build a new engine and emissions control
system, they know they must prove to the United States Environmental
Protection Agency (EPA) that the car can go a long way and still operate
with very low emissions. That's why all three major U.S. auto manufacturers
use only Chevron gasoline with the Techron. additive to help their new
engines pass the tough EPA 50,000 and 100,000 mile emission system
durability tests. They buy and use only Chevron unleaded gasoline, even
though they must purchase the Chevron unleaded gasoline in Kentucky and pay
to truck it all the way to the Detroit area, because Chevron does not market
gasoline anywhere near Michigan.

http://www.chevron.com/PRODSERV/FUELS/gas_qanda/tech_gas.shtml

DISCLAIMER:
No affiliation other than my cars sometimes use chevron gas.  Not intended
to start a discussion among the various gasoline companies.  I usually
choose a gas station by who has one of those fake cappacino machines and the
good sipper lids.

Chuck.H
'89 TurboLookTarga, 196k miles (about to pass the 200k *durability* test)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I don't know about Chevron specifically but I can tell you that gas is
not all the same.  Here are sulphur content stats for Canada's major
refineries:

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/cars/lowsulphurgas/table.html

This study sparked a boycott movement against some of the real bad
polluters.  I believe the quality of the gas has much to do with the
modernity of the refinery.  All of the low sulphur fuels are produced in
the newer plants.  If you recall the BMW nikasil cylinder liner fiasco
of 8-10 years ago, you know that high sulphur can be very destructive to
some engine alloys.

The problem is, gas companies are constantly switching gasoline in these
reciprocal agreements to ensure a steady supply.  So, you never really
know what gas you're getting.  Ask the manager the next time you're at
the Chevron station - "Can you guarantee me that's Chevron gas?".

Henry