[Shotimes] Fuel Pump gone bad after 2 weeks?

Josh Salaets jsalaets@msn.com
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 11:37:59 -0800

> I recently installed a 190 LPH pump from the Sho Shop in hopes of solving
> drivability issue (stalling and lack of power).  It still stalls so I
brought
> it in for a diagnostic.  They said I needed new valve cover gaskets and
oil
> well seals (obviously), a new IAC (which should help), and a new fuel pump
> (what the ****?).  According to them, it wasn't holding pressure once the
car
> was turned off.  Is this normal for an aftermarket pump?  I also have some
> trouble codes dealing with the fuel pump primary and secondary circuits,
codes
> 542 and 55* ( I think).  Can anyone help me with this?  From what I can
feel
> while driving it, the pump is definitely working.  What's going on?

I wouldn't think it would be the fuel pump already, but I went through three
crappy Napa pumps for my GLH before I finally got a Walbro that was actually
cheaper than the Napa pump, and MUCH better!  Two of the three died within a
week of installing them!

If I remember correctly, there is a valve somewhere in the fuel system that
helps keep the lines pressurized after turning the car off.  I can't
remember if it's in the pump itself, in the engine bay somewhere, or near
the fuel tank, but if it goes bad, you'll lose fuel pressure.

I am sure someone else on the list knows where this valve is.

Good luck, and let us know what you find!

Josh Salaets
95 SHO MTX (See it here: www.cardomain.com/id/sh0gun)
85 Omni GLH-T (Autocrosser)
Eugene, OR