[Shotimes] Clutch time

Michael Humbert humbem@rpi.edu
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 21:02:45 -0500

Mike,

I am going through this exact process right now.  I was going to take
off the starter to check according to Joshs advice on the SHO NUT site
(same as what Mark said):

To check, you can look at the clutch and tell once you remove the
starter. If the pressure plate is the same diameter as the flywheel and
very thick, then you have the 9.75" pressure plate.  (past the ring
gear, the flywheel/pressure plate will look to be about 1" thick, with a
line in the middle)  If the pressure plate edge that you can see is just
1/8", then you have a 9.25" clutch, and the assembly will appear to be
about 1/2" thick, or just the thickness of the flywheel.

However, if you happen to be lucky (as I was) you wont have to go
through this process.  I was fortunate in that the previous owner bought
the stock clutch and the part number on his receipt matched that of the
upgraded clutch.  (F1DZ-7A537-A).  As the larger clutch can only be
installed with a larger flywheel, I know I have the 9.75 flywheel, and
avoided having to take off my starter.  If you have any receipts for the
car you may be fortunate and can save yourself a bit of time and
annoyance.

Mike Humbert
90 titanium w/ 159K
Troy, NY