[Shotimes] Re: OT Starting Fluid: Good or Evil?

John Phillis jphillis68@hotmail.com
Sun, 23 Feb 2003 19:10:20 -0500

"If anything, I would say that starting fluid is NOT a good idea in diesels,
but is harmless to gasoline engines."

FYI, I worked for a heavy equip dealer in highschool, and my father still
works there, not to mention my brother is in the local 66 operating
engineers union (he runs a 375 CAT excavator right now)

and we are talking big heavy machines, with 14 and 15:1 compression ratios
not to mention the smaller kabota and yanmar newholland diesels

all of which, of the new ones have a prestart position on the key, which you
hold for 15 seconds activates a glow plug, warms up the feul, then when you
turn the key to start teh engine, it automatically hits the intake with a
can of either.
so when you are cranking, it is already sucking in burning either and diesel
fuel.

so, in short, if starting fluid was bad for diesel engines, CAT, NewHolland,
Case, John Deere  wouldn't put an either can holding assembly with quick
change, directly onto the machine, so you can get starting fluid wihtout
lifting a finger aside from turning the key.