[Shotimes] OT Starting Fluid: Good or Evil?

Paul Nimz pnimz@V8SHO.com
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 00:13:38 -0600

> I still would like to hear the explanation of how starting fluid can kill
> distributor...

Well this isn't related to starting fluid but it is related to killing a
distributor while trying to start...

I had a '73 Torino with a 302.  For whatever reason I took the distributor
out.  I stuck it back in not knowing a thing about proper placement.  Crank,
turned the key of and moved it; cranked, turned the key off and moved it;
cranked, got tired of turning it off and moved it, next time I moved it the
points being hot and closed sparked when I touched the distributor to the
block igniting the fumes in the crankcase.  The  following explosion
summarily ejected the distributor out of my hands and about 30 feet into the
woods....   I did manage to repair it and was quite thankful my head was not
in the distributor's way.....

Paul Nimz
'97 TR SHO
'93 EG mtx SHO