[Shotimes] OT Starting Fluid: Good or Evil?

Scott Sweeney webtrendsguy@yahoo.com
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 05:58:27 -0800 (PST)

I should clarifythat he replaced the plugs because  I "ruined" them with the starting fluid.  He had to replace the distributor (I'm told) because there was something between it and the "computerized" carburetor, so when he replaced that carb, he replaced the distributor.

In 84 wasn't it the Cross-Fire V8's that were the problem?  I had an 85 Camaro with the Tuned Port Injection that ran quicker than Michael Jackson to a day care for young boys.

-Sweeney
 Ron Porter <ronporter@prodigy.net> wrote:I still would like to hear the explanation of how starting fluid can kill a
distributor. On second thought, maybe not, as I would probably be
less-than-charitable in my comments as I hear the absolute nonsense echoing
from the vacuum between his ears.....

Your comment hit it on the head, though. Those '84 Quadrajets were really a
srange bird.....they had redimentary computer controls plumbed in to run the
secondary metering rods and a few other things. It was the year before the
TPI hit the market. Good friend of mine had an '84 Z28 with that POS.

Now, if that was the original carb, the new carb could very well have solved
the problem. The only issue with "Mr. Grease Monkey" is what older carb did
he use? Possibility exists of one that is jetted too rich or too lean, which
will cause it's own set of problems. Besides, if the car is in good,
original condition, you may want to rebuild the stock carb to keep it
original. I trust that you hgot the parts back?

She trusts the opinion of Mr. Grease Monkey? Is he just working there
temporarily until Roger Penske can get an opening for an elecronics tech on
one of his race teams? Pretty bad when you have to settle for working at a
place called "The Grease Monkey"!!