[Shotimes] Stumbling at highway speeds

Justin Schick jschick@aafp.org
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 10:09:14 -0600

If it's not the IAB, my guess is O2 sensors. You'll find out once you
pull the codes You can do it with a paper clip while watching the CE
light blink, but that's obviously more involved than viewing the output
of a code reader. Mine would trip the light as soon as the throttle
position changed after long trips at constant speed.

The stalling makes me wonder about the IAB though. Just because it's
new doesn't mean it's good. If it is truly ok, the MAF wire is clean
(and not oily from an overdone K&N cleaning and re-oiling), the TPS is
functioning properly, and the O2's check out, I dunno...

Justin
dead 92

>>> "Thesing, Hunter M." <HMTHESING@stthomas.edu> 02/25/03 09:58AM >>>
Okay, hopefully this will be my last posting for a while, as I'm sure
you're
getting tired of my stupid car.  For those of you helping me or who
have been
following my progress, the car is running much better now.  Overall, I
am
pleased.  However, it still has a few quirks that are bugging me.

At highway speeds (60-75) it sometimes loses power when cruising (just
enough
to be noticeable).  And when I give it a little gas, it stumbles.  If I
keep
pushing the pedal down, it gets worse, and then at a certain point,
the
stumbling stops and it starts to accelerate.  Could this be the point
where it
goes into WOT?  That could explain a few things.  I'm not sure if this
is
related, but I have a check engine light that comes on intermittently,
but
doesn't seem to correlate to this problem.  I'll have codes
(hopefully)
tomorrow when I buy a new battery for my reader.

Any ideas?  I had an '84 Buick Skylark that had similar problems that
were
corrected with a new MAF.  Does that sound like this could be it?
(note:
recently cleaned MAF)

Also, possibly unrelated, my car has been stalling intermittently, only
when
coming to a stop (no engine load), and not all the time.  Again, for
those
following my saga, I have a new IAC now, which has helped with the
idling, so
I think it must be something else now.

Again, I greatly appreciate the feedback from all of you.  Without this
vast
knowledge at work, I probably would have kept my wife's Saturn to
drive, since
it has been more reliable than the SHO.  Oh, well.

Thanks again,
Hunter Thesing
'93 MTX EG
Sho Shop 190 LPH Fuel Pump