[Shotimes] temp reading

Michael S Wojton Mike.Wojton@owens-ill.com
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 12:01:00 -0500

If we ever get any decent weather around here, I'll probably just
replace them both.  The heater blows warm air though.  When I
first bought the green car, the heater wouldn't blow warm, so I
replaced the thermostat.  It still read right around L.  I figured it
needed a new sender.  I figured this one the same.

Incidentally, my use of "gage" comes from my days on a drawing
board.  At the place that I started working for, everyone else used
that particular spelling, so that's what got burned into my head.
Monkey see, monkey do.  ; )

Mike Wojton
Toledo, Ohio

-'95 Green MTX  3/01-1/03
   ShoShop y-pipe

-'95 White MTX
   '96 Brake Upgrade

"Avoid the clap." - Jimmy Dugan
------------------( Forwarded letter 1 follows )---------------------
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 09:45:47 -0600
To: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
Cc: shotimes@autox.team.net
From: Donald.Mallinson[dmall]@mwonline.net
Sender: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] temp reading

Typical readings are about at the M in NORMAL, maybe between
it and the A when driving on an 80 degree day on the
highway.  city or high perf driving can send it all over the
place.  If it stays at the low side of the L on the highway
in the winter, then first check the thermostat.  Take it out
and place it in water that you bring up to a boil and use a
kitchen thermometer to check when the thing opens and if it
opens smooth and then closes smooth.  Of course if you pull
it out and it is stuck open, you have your problem solved.

Even then, though, the gauge can read low.  (the word for
these instruments is confusing sometimes.  I looked up Gage
and Gauge and generally Gage is to estimate the measure of
something and Gauge is a measuring instrument.  But Gage can
also mean the second so you aren't wrong, I just had to
check this for myself.  I am not trying to be Mr. Word
person)  :)

When my "Gauge" was reading low, and I had determined that
the thermostat was working right, I replaced first one and
then the other sending units.  The one with one wire is for
the instrument panel, and the other is for the computer.  So
replace the one just near the thermostat with one wire and
that solved my problem.

Don Mallinson