[Shotimes] Bras and SHOs?

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 12:39:26 -0500

I  had a Colgan, and I only put it on with a clean, waxed front end, and I
would hit it with Final Inspection before the  installation. This was on the
black '89 after the repaint. I also have a Colgan that I use on the (black)
911.

There are some basic issues that can't be resolved, the key one being at the
very leading edge of the front fenders. Wind unavoidably gets under the bra
by the side marker light, and the bra is stretched over the fender edges,
and it moves around.

I'm sure it works much better on a light-colored car, but I would never
leave a bra on a dark car. I would immediately pull off the bra upon getting
to my destination, or if it started to rain. If I couldn't get the bra and
the car clean before the return trip, I wouldn't use it.

The other cosmetic issue with a bra is that it has run it's course like a
lot of other things. In the beginning, bras were expensive, and were on
expensive cars. Now you can pick them up for a song for any car, and they
look tacky. Seems that most cars I see them on use it to either cover
dents/scratches/rust, or it appears to be holding the front-end of the car
together!! The bra has become "JC Whitney-ized"!!

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]On Behalf Of George Fourchy
Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2003 4:52 AM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [Shotimes] Bras and SHOs?

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003 03:36:39 -0500, Ron Porter wrote:

>but leaving a
>bra on the car causes paint issues of it's own. I only used to use mine for
>long trips in dry weather, and still got paint scratches.

The white under the cover on the hood is a different color for a while after
I take
it off to wash it....then it is OK after a few hours.  As for scratches, the
inside
needs to be kept clean and free of foreign material, and they will be kept
to a
minimum.  On the other hand, white doesn't show those fine scratches like a
dark
color does..we'll see what happens to the black car later.

George