[Shotimes] Idler tensioner pulley bearing revisted, yet again

Jim and Debbie Leyden jndleyden@mindspring.com
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 06:53:50 -0500

Ron,
CHANGE THE PS PUMP FAST.  My PS pump died while my wife was driving it home
from work leaving her with no power steering.  Not much of a problem while
moving, but a real pain to turn while trying to park or turn a corner at low
speed.
The design of the SHO ps pump is one that uses a single sealed bearing at
the front of the pump.  When the bearing fails it will spit out the shaft
and 99 out of 100 times it will leave you stranded.  When it spits out the
shaft, the pulley will rub against the Air conditioning liquid line and rub
a hole in it in short order.  Then you have to replace the pump, liquid line
and get the A/C charged all at the same time.  Not a cheap breakdown by any
means.

Jim
'93 MTX
New PS Pump
FWIW Doug Lewis told me that mine was ONLY time he has ever seen one spit
out a pulley and still be quasi derivable.  ( I was able to drive it in to
be fixed instead of towed,