[Shotimes] OT - IRL Gen 4 Chevy, NOT!

kerbyh@netzero.net kerbyh@netzero.net
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:50:02 GMT

GM grossly underestimated how much the technology would be pushed when Honda and Toyota showed up.  H & T could give a rats ass about GM, they hate each other too much.  GM was used to Nissan's(Infinity) half-assed approach to the IRL and, as usual, drew the wrong conclusion from it.  Cosworth had a competative engine ready to go at the beginning of the season, and no one bought it.  GM stepped in with a check and bought it.  Kudos to Cosworth for the development.  Ford is too busy watching CART lose money, teams,  and TV viewers hand over fist, and Jaguar drive around in the back of the F1 field to care about IRL at the moment.

I gave up on CART when my track(Texas Motor Speedway) was "too fast" for them.

Kerby

--- Donald Mallinson <dmall@mwonline.net> wrote:

It has been noted by all the magazines and I am sure some GM
people are getting the boot by bosses, or the sly comment
from friends/associates.

Personally, I think it says a lot about GM in a postive way
that they go to an acknowledged expert in the field to help
solve a problem.

Lots of companies have had to go to outside help to solve
some problems, and in our global economy, I don't think it
is a huge embarassment to GM to go to Cosworth.  Good
engineering firms do work for a lot of companies, but
usually it is kept quiet.

I was glad to see the new motor work as well as it did and
was rooting for a win out of the box, but that last corner
pass was well set up and perfectly executed.  I didn't see
if anyone interviewed Hornish, but he should have been proud
of the way he raced and the result.  A disappointment to
lose after leading for so long, but it was a great race, and
CLEAN racing by real pros.

Don Mallinson