[Shotimes] Re: O2 simulators

Justin Schick jschick@aafp.org
Wed, 04 Jun 2003 15:13:04 -0500

Thanks much for the clarification. Amazingly enough, my friend that
swears by them has removed the cats on the afore mentioned vehicles,
both of which use(d) more than 2 O2s. I just never knew the mods were
inter-dependent.

Justin

>>> "Kevin & Cheryl Airth" <clubairth@peoplepc.com> 06/04/03 03:06PM

Justin:
 I am a little confused? How is the car going to run very good if the
PCM
does not know if the mixture is too rich or too lean?
 I think the function of O2 simulators is not understood. The only
reason
these came into use is on OBD II cars that have 4 O2 sensors. One
before and
one after each converter.  If you remove the catalytic converters you
will
get a continuous check engine light. The rear two sensors can be
simulated
and "fool" the PCM into thinking the converters are in place and
working
properly. The rear 2 sensors are not used for any engine control
functions.
 Since your 92 only has 2 O2 sensors you don't want or need this mod.
Also
if you remove your converters the PCM will not know the difference,
other
than the change in airflow due to the change in exhaust back pressure.