[Shotimes] rod bearings

Kerry Kinion kerry@kinionfurniture.com
Sat, 3 May 2003 02:48:48 -0700

Hey Josh,

Thanks for getting back to me.  I've been busy working away on this
thing and finally got it back together and started it up tonight!  Tick
is gone!  Your diagnosis, obviously, was right on the money - in this
case, right on the "labor"!!  Man that oil pan is a PITA!!

Thanks for your offer on the oil pump pickup tube gasket - I went to
ford though and my man (not even the guy I normally deal with!) opened
up about 10 packages and we finally found one that was really close.  So
I won't need your extra at this point and I'll send this post and the
part# to the list, in case this might help somebody else.  It may not be
the right one but it was really close.  Grey, fibrous gasket mtl.

I trimmed the gasket to fit.  You wouldn't have to but it has a little
tab on it that is not needed.  The center hole is also slightly smaller
than what is needed - so I sanded it larger (probably didn't need to).
Ford part # is XL2Z-6626-AA.

After all this (and yes I saved the old bearings), the rear of the
engine had much more wear than the front.  I started at the rear of the
engine and worked my way forward.  Without regard to piston # - if you
start at 6 (Rear) and work towards (1) front, the bearings were much
less worn as I worked my way forward.  But, noticeably worn on the top
as I understand is typical.

As a last step (I couldn't help but check) I used Plastigage on one
bearing (the most worn) after replacing and found the thing to be right
in spec. .0015".

Thanks to you and the list for walking me thru this one!!  I really did
learn a lot doing this.

Until the next breakdown.....................!

Kerry Kinion ('93 MTX, 111k, fresh 60k+, Fresh ROD BEARINGS!!) Probably
brakes and a load of brake questions next. :-)