[Shotimes] Stiff go pedal - CHEAP FIX

Leigh Smith leighsm@concentric.net
Sun, 04 May 2003 15:42:14 -0400

Ian; i
Just had this same problem when I upgraded from a 89 to a 94. The
throttle on the 94 turned out to be over TWICE as stiff as the 89. I
could barely drive it! It just wouldn't rev.

It turned out to be the throttle springs on the throttle body. There are
three of them wrapped together, but they were like 30% in diameter
THICKER than my 89. (And torsional stiffness increase by the fourth
power of diameter). I believe the number were 1.3 mm and 1.6mm.
(1.6/1.3)^4 = 2.5 TIMES AS STIFF!!
Took me 10 min to change it once I got one for $10 from Tim Dahm. The
car was much easier to drive and it just "naturally" revved about 1000
rpm when I drove it. :-)

My 94 MTX ha(d) a stiff throttle spring, and Terri Huffnagle's 94 ATX
has the light one. Go figure.

Leigh