[Shotimes] Car will not start after valve lash adjustment (long)

Steve Tatro stevetatro@att.net
Mon, 5 May 2003 17:38:02 -0400

Having not touched the timing belt, it's likely that you just didn't
plug something back in.

Did you remove the DIS from the intake?  If so, make sure it's properly
grounded.

The dielectric grease in the wire boots won't hurt a darn thing.  I used
it, many other people use it.

Double check to make sure you have the plug wires routed to the correct
terminal on the coil pack.

Firewall
1 - 2 - 3
-----------  	is the engine
4 - 5 - 6
Radiator

And

Firewall
5|1
6|2		is the coil pack
4|3
Radiator

I know that sounds simple, but many people mix this up.

Here's a list of vacuum lines you probably unhooked.  Check and be sure
you got them all reattached:

.	One 5/8" coolant hose and two 1/4" coolant hoses under the
throttle body (the fourth 1/4" vacuum hose routes to the idle air
control (IAC) valve and does not need to be removed, the hose clamp on
one of the 1/4" coolant hoses is not easily accessible until the
manifold is lifted a few inches)
.	One 1/4" vacuum hose and one 3/8" crankcase breather hose on the
top forward face of the throttle body
.	One 3/16" vacuum hose on the fuel pressure regulator
.	One 5/8" vacuum hose on the passenger side rear of the intake
plenum
.	One 3/16" vacuum hose to the secondary intake runner valve
vacuum accumulator
.	One 1/8" plastic vacuum hose on the exhaust gas recirculation
(EGR) valve (3.2L)
.	One 1/8" plastic vacuum hose on the EGR pressure sensor module
(3.2L)

Here's a list of the electrical connections you probably had to
disconnect.  Check and make sure you got them all reattached:

.	Two to the distributorless ignition system (DIS) module on the
intake crossover tube
.	One to the idle air control (IAC) valve
.	One to the throttle position sensor (TPS)
.	One to the mass air flow (MAF) sensor
.	One to the solenoid on the vacuum accumulator (black plastic
canister)
.	One to the EGR pressure sensor module (3.2L)

I cropped this info from a complete 60k service worksheet done by a
member on the SHO Forum.  If anyone wants the entire document, let me
know.

Good luck Ken!  FWIW, you can ignore the 542 code, as it's stored any
time you stall the car.  It does not point to a specific problem.

Steve Tatro
Red/Black '93 with 167k miles
Cincinnati, Ohio