[Shotimes] keyless trunk release

van Oss van Oss" <vanOss@centurytel.net
Tue, 6 May 2003 10:56:12 -0500

I can open my 91's trunk manually with the handle by the driver seat.  But
it won't open with the keyless code.  With the cable disconnected from the
latch, I have confirmed the solenoid does pull in the cable.  The latch
mechanism seems to move smoothly and I have lubed it.  However, when the
whole thing is assembled, the solenoid is unable to open the trunk.  I can
hear the solenoid operating but it does not open the latch.

It seems like the solenoid is unable to generate enough force to pull on the
latch adequately.  I have tried swapping with another high-mileage SHO; this
had the same result.

Can a solenoid weaken over time?  Should I be heading to my local Ford
stealer for a new solenoid?

Joseph van Oss