[Shotimes] EATC display

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Wed, 7 May 2003 10:11:52 -0400

My experience is with the stereo, rather than the EATC, but I bet the
electronics are similar.

I tried swapping with the stereo, and it didn't work. I first bought a
Mustang unit off Ebay quite cheaply. Everything looked the same, hooked up
the same, and the only difference was a letter in the p/n suffix, but it was
a green display. I took my old unit apart, and first swapped the blue
plastic piece over the bulbs for the green one. No dice. I then swapped the
entire faceplate circuit board with the blue filter into the Mustang unit.
No dice. In fact, the unit didn't work right, as the display freaked out. On
another note, the remote controls never worked with this unit, either (but
many folks already know that). There must be unique circuitry buried in the
unit for the display color (as well as the SHO remote controls).

Luckily I finally bought a real SHO unit from a SHOtimer that got me the
matching blue Gen 2 display.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Mike.Wojton@us.o-i.com
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 9:01 AM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net; techsho@topica.com
Subject: [Shotimes] EATC display

Every time someone talks about swapping an EATC from some
other vehicle, they almost always ask about the color of the
display.  Well I noticed something yesterday that may shed
some light on the issue.

I glanced at my factory radio yesterday going home, and
noticed that with the sunlight hitting it at a particular angle,
the "lense" over the display had a bluish tint.  I surmised that
the display was green, but with the lense color, looked that
"unique" blue-green.

So I'm wondering if a unit from another model that had just
a green display could swap lenses with the Taurus unit and
then match the other displays.  Or perhaps the lense could
be tinted somehow to match better.

Anyways, this is just something I noticed.  I thought that I
would share.

Mike Wojton
Toledo, Ohio

-'95 Green MTX  3/01-1/03