[Shotimes] M3 vs. GSX part 2 (long)

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Wed, 7 May 2003 15:49:48 -0400

Yes, it's not needed for a 90-degree V8, but the 60-degree that the V8 SHO
uses needs one to be smooth.

The "best" way would be to shorten the timing chain and eliminate the need
for an idler pulley. I'm sure that those kits for the DSMs just adds an
idler or has a shorter belt/chain.

FWIW, the basic reason that the Gen 3 has the 60-degree engine is that the
90-degree SHO V6 won't fit.

From: Bill Murray [mailto:fordsho@cloud9grafx.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 1:12 PM
To: 'Ron Porter'; SHOTimes; pmnimz@V8SHO.com
Subject: RE: [Shotimes] M3 vs. GSX part 2 (long)

Isn't it very uncommon for a V8 to have balance shafts to begin with?  I
always heard the more cylinders, the smoother the engine, but an inline
engine is smoother than a V style.  There are balance shaft removal kits
sold for the DSMs and Conquest/Starion's, maybe see what they include to
get an idea of what might be needed for the V8.

Bill Murray