[Shotimes] M3 vs. GSX part 2 (long)

BJamesjr@aol.com BJamesjr@aol.com
Wed, 7 May 2003 22:50:05 EDT

> Thinking about it again, the balance may end up being OK, but the engine
> will not be smooth. It will shake just like a........60-degree V8.

Does the V8 have offset crank pins?  I think some manufacturers do this so
that an engine such as a 90 degree V6 will actually fire like a 60 degree V6.
 If the V8 is made like that, then I wonder why it would need a balance
shaft.

As far as the balance shaft is concerned, I'm having a hard time
understanding why it would require much horsepower to turn.  It seems that
there would be a bit of friction but that is all.

Isn't the balance shaft just a shaft with eccentric weights on it?  If so
then it seems you could machine off the weights and just put the bare
straight shaft back in place.