[Shotimes] M3 vs. GSX part 2 (long)

Ron Childs rbchilds@pacbell.net
Thu, 8 May 2003 08:52:03 -0700 (PDT)

The offset crankshaft will provide firing impulses at even intervals, which will contribute to smoothness but not to balance and reduced vibration. An extreme opposite example of uneven firing impulses is the 45 degree Harley engine's "potato" sound. Counterweights and balance shafts can balance an engine but you need the offset crank to balance the firing impulses. (I think Harley does neither intentionally.)                                                                          To get the naturally balanced cylinder bank angle, divide 720 (degrees of rotation between firings) by the number of cylinders. You get 90 for a V8, 72 for a V10, etc. You end up with 120 for a V6 though.  -Ron

BJamesjr@aol.com wrote:> Thinking about it again, the balance may end up being OK, but the engine
> will not be smooth. It will shake just like a........60-degree V8.

Does the V8 have offset crank pins? I think some manufacturers do this so
that an engine such as a 90 degree V6 will actually fire like a 60 degree V6.
If the V8 is made like that, then I wonder why it would need a balance
shaft.

As far as the balance shaft is concerned, I'm having a hard time
understanding why it would require much horsepower to turn. It seems that
there would be a bit of friction but that is all.

Isn't the balance shaft just a shaft with eccentric weights on it? If so
then it seems you could machine off the weights and just put the bare
straight shaft back in place.