[Shotimes] Stereo Questions

Leigh Smith leighsm@comcast.net
Fri, 09 May 2003 18:02:47 -0400

Jonathan;

My take on ford stereos is this: The head units don't have any power,
the amplifier is in the amp in the trunk. Aftermarket units put 45
wattts in the head unit, which is about all the Ford trunk amp has. Plus
Ford uses some really low power/resistance signals to the amp that are
not standard specs for the aftermarket. So using an aftermarket head
unit and a Ford amp is very difficult to get to work, it is only 45
watts anyway, so why bother?

So; Consider the ford head unit & amp as a package, keep them as a pair,
or replace them with a single aftermarket head unit with the same power,
and use the bypass cables to straighten out the wiring. Someone cut all
the **** wires on my 94's JBL system, and it took me hours to straighten
it all out!! The 89 was plug-n-play with the right patch cable.

The sub is a separate matter. It will need it's own aftermarket amp.
100-150W or so & up. My stock 94 JBL subwoofer speaker is tolerating a
200W max Jensen amp O.K. without blowing it up, so far.

Leigh