[Shotimes] Stereo Questions

Bill Murray fordsho@cloud9grafx.com
Fri, 9 May 2003 22:18:12 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Leigh Smith
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2003 6:03 PM
To: Jonathon Beisler
Cc: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Stereo Questions

Jonathan;

My take on ford stereos is this: The head units don't have any power,
the amplifier is in the amp in the trunk. Aftermarket units put 45
wattts in the head unit, which is about all the Ford trunk amp has. Plus

Ford uses some really low power/resistance signals to the amp that are
not standard specs for the aftermarket. So using an aftermarket head
unit and a Ford amp is very difficult to get to work, it is only 45
watts anyway, so why bother?

So; Consider the ford head unit & amp as a package, keep them as a pair,

or replace them with a single aftermarket head unit with the same power,

and use the bypass cables to straighten out the wiring. Someone cut all
the **** wires on my 94's JBL system, and it took me hours to straighten

it all out!! The 89 was plug-n-play with the right patch cable.

The sub is a separate matter. It will need it's own aftermarket amp.
100-150W or so & up. My stock 94 JBL subwoofer speaker is tolerating a
200W max Jensen amp O.K. without blowing it up, so far.

Leigh

Jonathon Beisler wrote:

>Does anyone know the watts output for the factory sound systems that
came in the 94 SHO?  I have the "premium" system with the separate CD
player, amps and subwoofer if that makes any difference.  I have
aftermarket speakers now and am looking to upgrade the deck.
>Also, do any of you think that it would be possible to wire in a 2001
double din 6 disc in dash changer to this earlier car?
>Lastly, I have been looking at some of the Sony Xplod systems and am
wondering about powering the amp.  I know that Crutchfield will give me
the bypass for the amps so where does that leave my sub?  THe one that I
am looking at has 52 x 4 max power output so I am wondering how much
better it will make music, so to speak.
>Thanks for any advice or knowledge in advance.
>JB

---