[Shotimes] High Mileage Vs. "Remanufactured" Car Values.....was: 94 Moonlight Blue MTX FS

George Fourchy George Fourchy" <krazgeo@jps.net
Fri, 09 May 2003 14:10:42 -0700

On Fri, 9 May 2003 13:17:53 -0500, Paul L Fisher wrote:

>There is a HUGE difference in value between a sub 100K car and 168K, though.

How about the value of an unrusted, re-engined (this one by Mark Nunnally), custom
painted Gen 1 MTX with new seats, carpet, tunes, headliner, console, springs,
struts, brakes, tires, wheels, bushings, etc.....everything that is feasible to
upgrade or improve?

If that car's odometer had 140K miles, but the mechanicals and interior had zero, or
were transplanted from much newer cars, and looked pristine, what would it be worth?

Many early cars much past the age of 15 years that are constantly on the road that
belong to anyone on this list will be in this category....rebuilt, or remanufactured
(more or less from the ground up), depending on your definition of those
words.....well....any cars that are daily drivers, and have a budget for them that
would allow such work.  Others that might not be daily drivers would be more likely
to keep their lower mileage, and if and when these cars start to appreciate, they
would be the first to benefit from that increase in value.

Any currently published generic value for rebuilt, or renewed, or whatever you want
to call them will be useless, it seems to me.  I don't ever plan on selling this
car, but the Lowrider's recent experience begs the answer to this question for
insurance purposes.  USAA says that if I can produce evidence (receipts and
pictures) of the work done to the black car, they will insure it for what I have
spent on it.....now we need to determine how long it will hold that value.  Will it
depreciate as I drive it.....I think not, at least not very much (until it gets
another 100K, of course).  That's where the discussion will occur.

I'm still working on the agreed value/stated value type of insurance....I'll have
more data on that later.

George