[Shotimes] High Mileage Vs. "Remanufactured" Car Values.....was: 94 Moonlight Blue MTX FS

van Oss van Oss" <vanOss@centurytel.net
Fri, 9 May 2003 18:52:22 -0500

My 92 SHO has 68K, many mods, and has been stored winters.  There are two
ways to view its value:

-- What I could get if I were to sell it (ubiquitous Taurus, manual shift,
yet the repair issues of an exotic)

-- What it would cost me to replace its level of features (leather, ETAC,
etc.) and capability (catches Porsches at BIR)

Those numbers are far apart.

Bear this in mind:  George has known the Lowrider since it was a puppy.  In
cars as in life, "the devil you know is worth more than the devil you
don't."  Sure, George could walk out tomorrow and buy a lot of nice used
performance cars for what he will spend to fix the Lowrider.  But then he
would be driving a stranger, with many questions about what's been done,
what hasn't, and what will break.  Worse yet, George knows SHOs.  If he were
to acquire a Lowrider replacement other than a SHO, he'd be kissing away the
value of what's he's learned about SHOs, and that's a lot of tuition.  Same
for me.  With both my SHOs, I know what's secure and what needs attention.
I would gladly get in either SHO and take off on a long road trip.  That
kind of trust is worth something.  Many people would think they were able to
place such trust in a brand-new car.  Old guys like George and I know that a
new car is an unknown quantity to be approached warily.  We trust what we
know, and that's how we attach value to it.

Don't mean to put anybody off, just expressing how I see things.

Joseph van Oss