[Shotimes] Stereo Questions

Modemagic@aol.com Modemagic@aol.com
Sat, 10 May 2003 00:16:43 EDT

Steve,

    I've done if I had to guess 50 or so "premium sound" HU installs without
bypassing the amps.  Honestly, the results vary from car to car.  I did a
2001 Mustang SVT Cobra Saleen Convertible, (Yes it was a VERY nice ride, only
4k on the odometer and plastic on the backseat)  about a week ago with a
simple Kenwood midrange deck and I wouldn't have bypassed the amps if he'd
paid me too.  It sounded VERY rich from the top all the way down to 30Hz.
Very even and clean, much better than the factory deck.  A HUGE difference in
the system just be replacing the factory deck and cleaning up the input
sound. ;)

    In alot of the older cars, Gen 2 SHO's and Super Coupes I see alot of,
quite often shortly after the HU install the customer is buying new speakers
because they blew them up.  (With the amps connected)  Honestly, you and I
both know that factory speakers are just that.... factory.  They aren't
designed for high amouts of power, being amplified by big amps, etc.  The
factory amps add insult to injury and boost that overwhelming power even more
and really toast the speakers.  Could this happen even with bypassing the
amps? Of course.  Is it as common or often? No.  Your right and I agree 110%
with you, our amps and speakers are a matched pair and run well together...
but sometimes you get that customer that finds it necessary to turn up the
volume a lil' but too loud too often. ;)

    Bear in mind, this isn't just a Ford or JBL thing.  Bose has it in
Nissans, Infinity in Chryslers, etc.  The Premium sound is truely more
"premium" than the typical factory speaker, but still not what some of the
aftermarkets are.  One of the most annoying thing I run into as an installer
is the guy who wants to replace the Infinity Gold system in his Jeep Grand
Cherokee with a 100 dollar head unit and 150 dollars with of speakers.  A
DEFINATE downgrade all across the board.

Dave