[Shotimes] M3 vs. GSX part 2 (long)

Ron Childs rbchilds@pacbell.net
Fri, 9 May 2003 23:12:30 -0700 (PDT)

As I recall, Buick extended the life of their V6
(which is today's GM 3800) by going to the "even fire"
crankshaft. I think that many newer engines have
offset cranks because of odd cylinder bank angles.

As I had mentioned previously, the "even fire" cranks
will make the engines smoother because the cylinders
fire at even intervals but they will not help with the
inherent imbalance cylinder bank angles mismatched
with the number of cylinders. Balance shafts do.

I think (somebody chime in if I am wrong) that
horizontally opposed engines (Porsche, Subaru, etc.)
are the best as far as natural balance.

-Ron