[Shotimes] M3 vs. GSX part 2 (long)

BJamesjr@aol.com BJamesjr@aol.com
Sat, 10 May 2003 01:09:41 EDT

I spotted my 97 Helms manual on the bookshelf so I did a bit of looking.  The
manual clearly shows offset crank journals on the V8 crankshaft.  I can't
tell if they offset them enough to even out the firing pulses or not.  I
thought I remembered that GM offset the crank journals on some of their 90
degree V6's to help with this.

Also I found a diagram of the front of the engine that would lead me to
believe that the balance shaft turns at crankshaft speed.  The only diagrams
I can find that show part of the balance shaft basically show a shaft with an
eccentric weight on it, sort of like a camshaft with a single very long lobe
on it.