[Shotimes] Stereo Questions

Josh Salaets jsalaets@msn.com
Sat, 10 May 2003 08:58:16 -0700

>>> Tell me more about this "standard adapter" you're talking about.  I want
to put in a decent HU, as I'm just running a Discman thru the tape deck
right now.  I am a true audiophile, but can't afford to do a "total" at
this point. <<<

I am pretty sure there's two types of adapters out there currently available
for all Tauri and Sables - one is for "Premium Sound" and the other is for
lower end OEM systems.  I am willing to bet that all SHOs require the
"Premium Sound" adapter, which it should state on the wiring harness adapter
box.

Almost any parts store and most stereo stores will carry this adapter - I
have seen them at Schucks, Autozone, Wal Mart, etc., and they can run
anywhere from $7 - $15.  Crutchfield.com (www.crutchfield.com) has an
adapter harness with the amp bypass included for $15, or free if you buy a
head unit from them.

I've installed aftermarket head units in three different Tauri and have
never had to bypass the amp.  If you're unsure of which kit you'll need,
just buy both, see which one will plug into the factory harness in the dash,
and then return the other one.

>>> Really - what do I need to install a new HU, and what do I need to
solder?? <<<

If you buy a standard size head unit, all you have to do is remove the old
head unit (requires use of a coat hangar or an OEM stereo removal tool for
Fords and Volkswagens that can be found for $7.00 or so at any parts/stereo
store), solder (or even crimp) the adapter harness to the aftermarket HU
wiring, plug the adapter into the factory dash wiring, and slide the deck
in.  Overall it's probably the EASIEST thing you can do to your car.  Most
aftermarket decks will have a "cage" that comes with them, which I believe
you slide into the head unit slot in the dash first, and then you slide the
head unit in - it should all lock into place.

Those OEM stereo removal tools have more than paid for themselves over the
years since I bought them.  When I go to the junkyard to get cupholders,
they are the only tool I need!  I can have the OEM head unit and cupholders
out of any Taurus in 30 seconds or less! : )

Josh Salaets
95 SHO MTX (See it at: www.cardomain.com/id/sh0gun)
85 Omni GLH-T (Yeah, it's fast)
NWSHOC Member