[Shotimes] Drag Day at US 41

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Sat, 10 May 2003 20:49:20 -0400

"Normal" 10% alky fuel is only about a 6% overall BTU loss over straight
gas, which still is a loss, but better weather and such can make up for it
at the track. This is the stuff that's been around for years, but I still
tend to avoid it most of the time. I occasionally get and occasional tank,
mostly in the winter, to absorb any water/moisture hanging around in the
tank.

The "nasty" stuff is the straight RFG, or the RFG derivatives like Summer
gas. The "oxygenate" percentage is a bunch higher than 10% between the
alcohol (eth or meth) and some other stuff that gets thrown in. Poking
around the EPA site awhile back didn't give me much info, but I know from
seat-of-the-pants, drivability and fuel mileage that the stuff is bad news.
The Summer gas isn't as bad as the RFG I had to live with in Chicago and
Louisville, but it's close (and the exhaust smells just as bad!).

From: Paul Nimz [mailto:pmnimz@V8SHO.com]
Sent: Saturday, May 10, 2003 8:28 PM
To: Ron Porter; '`V6 SHOtimes'
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Drag Day at US 41

I have alky fuel all year long.  Unless you use Casey's regular from
Illinois or Mobil which doesn't seem to have any ethanol in it.  Doesn't
matter to me as I get just as good of runs on the 10% as I do the straight
stuff.
All my runs in the 14s have been on a 10% alcohol fuel mix.  No RFG fuel
down here other than that tainted with corn squeezins.

At US 41 on a typical Sunday I got 15 runs in 3 hours before noon and the
brackets.  Only on Saturday night is it packed.  Most runs are all back to
back but I usually take a 1/2 hour break in there some time.

Paul Nimz
'97 TR SHO
'93 EG mtx SHO