[Shotimes] Tire Rub

George Fourchy George Fourchy" <krazgeo@jps.net
Sun, 11 May 2003 00:13:48 -0700

On Sat, 10 May 2003 23:04:28 -0500, Ron DeReus wrote:

> I then found out that the
>tapered end of the pinch bolt was indeed sticking out the other side as it
>should be, but started trying to drill it out for replacement anyway since
>the head was missing.

In my mind's eye, your initial diagnosis is correct.  If the head is broken and
missing off the bolt, there is nothing holding the pinch tight.  Even though the
bolt is there, the little flange on the strut isn't that tough, and is not meant to
support that corner of the car, which is what is happening if the knuckle is not
gripping the strut tightly.  It's probably bent and distorted inside the pinch.
Measure the distance from the bottom of the strut to the bottom of the knuckle, and
compare it to the other side.

You can still use the strut when you get another pinch bolt.  There is a LOT of
pressure on the strut from the knuckle when the pinch is tight.   The flange is just
a guide to get the height within a fraction of an inch of what it should be.  The
bushinged arms are what keep the alignment correct.

George